What a sweet age! Our precious Olivia is a few days away from 8 months old and I just can’t get over how quickly time has flown by, but also how much fun we’re having each month, each week and each day. New memories, new milestones every single day it seems.
It’s been a bit since I last shared our baby favorites list – our favorite baby items at 4 months old – so here’s an updated list of baby essentials for 8 months old.
We still have a variety of gear-type favorites on our baby essentials for 8 months old list, however the categories that have made their to the top of our list at this age are books and toys! Olivia has her house favorites, and we all know the words to the songs or can expect that dimpled smile from her showing us how much fun she’s actually having!
Two bottom teeth are slowly emerging, her hair is curling at the ends, and it’s just been a blast to see that little personality shine through. Each month has been fun, but I feel like 7-8 months has truly become a favorite!
List of Baby Essentials for 8 months old
- Applesauce French Style Doll // This darling little doll is the most recent addition to our list of baby essentials for an 8 month old. We were gifted it from sweet friends, and I recently pulled it out for Olivia to hold when she’s in her carseat. She absolutely loves this dolly! She smiles at it, puts it in her mouth, squeezes it. I’m thinking I should order another to put away for the future…
- Skiphop Baby Activity Center // We affectionately call this the poopy jumper, but it’s one of Olivia’s favorite toys! Parents be warned, this jumping table is awesome and a great distraction for babies while you try to get cooking done or laundry folded, however time its use around when you know your baby will not have a poopy diaper. The bouncing and jumping baby Olivia does in the hammock seat has caused us to have some of the biggest dirty diapers ever, including it all up her back. I just try to keep a pretty close eye on her if we use it around a time she may go number two. I use the Baby Buddy Secure-A-Toy straps on it to attach other toys like this teether rattle toy and one of her favorite crinkle books.
- VTech Turn and Learn Ferris Wheel // This toy has been a hit for 2 months now. Us parents know all the words to the songs and Olivia is continually mesmerized by it. The suction cup bottom allows for it to be placed on the tray of her Upseat Booster (see below). She loves to spin it and watch it, and the music isn’t too terribly annoying either.
- Musical Beats Drum Toy // Another affordable and cute toy that Olivia loves to play with on her highchair tray. Also not terribly annoying and totally mesmerizing with all the different lights. Plus, it’s super affordable!
- Upseat Booster with Tray // I registered for this item and we love it! One of my top baby essential items for 8 months old. We actually pulled it out around 6.5 months, and it’s been a huge hit. It sits on our kitchen counter where Olivia can be at our level, play with toys, eat or just hang out and watch us cook or clean up. It’s easy to wipe down, plus it’s not at all difficult to put her in it or take her out.
- Stokke Trip Trapp High Chair // So here’s my disclaimer on the Stokke Trip Trapp high chair – we like it and use it because it was the high chair we registered for and what everyone told me to get. HOWEVER… Would I register for it now, knowing what I know? Probably not. It’s a very nice high chair, but Rick thought it was a pain to put together and I also find it confusing to take the tray off. For the price of the chair, tray and straps (each sold separately), you could get a really nice high chair that’s all in one. I like the chair because it’s sleek looking and matches our kitchen nook area that it lives in, however there are just as suitable high chair options that aren’t as expensive or trendy! If I could go back in time, I would register for the Stokke Clikk High Chair instead – a fraction of the price of the Tripp Trapp.
- Inglesina fast table chair // This is truly a must item for us! We absolutely love this table chair, and use it so much more than I anticipated. Olivia absolutely loves to sit with us at the table and I love that it’s easy to keep in our trunk, carry in to the restaurant and install on the table. With cold and flu season in full swing, I also love that we aren’t having to use the community highchairs restaurants offer. Plus, the back on this seat is a bit higher and our petite gal fits so nicely in it and doesn’t need a blanket or something shoved behind to prop her up. A must-have baby registry item in my opinion!!!
- Baby Bjorn Bouncer Bliss // Carrying this over from our four month baby product post… Olivia still loves this bouncer seat! We use it multiple times a day. I ended up adding on the googly eyes toy bar and it’s been such a hit! The zero-gravity really is cool because as she grows, her weight helps it bounce. I thought this was a gimmicky item, but there’s a reason Baby Bjorn is such a trusted brand. One of our top baby gear products and will use for future kiddos as well!
Clothes & Accessories
- Sleep Sacks // We love a variety of sleep sacks, especially the Kyte sleep bag in 0.5 and 1.0 TOG and the Burt’s Bees wearable blanket sacks. Living in a more humid and warmer climate, any sleep sack that’s 1.0 TOG will only be used for winter months. We’re already transitioning into the 0.5 TOG sleep sacks. After moving out of the Merlin, Olivia went into the sleep sack and she has adapted to them wonderfully! The Kyte sacks are stupid expensive, but the quality is really up there and they’re so soft.
- Sleepers // We’re still huge fans of the magnetic footie sleepers. We love Magnetic Me and a budget-friendly alternative called Easy = Magnetic Close. They’re SO easy to take on and off, and great for diaper changes.
- First Impressions Snap Front Baby Cardigans // These are our favorite lightweight snap front baby cardigans! Currently on sale for $5!!!! We have them in every color, as they’re great to bring with us on the go and layer. I feel like they run a touch big, because Olivia can still fit into the 3-6 months size nicely. We’ll continue to purchase these until she grows out of them. They’re soft and wash nicely.
Travel & Miscellaneous
- VTech video baby monitor // I picked this video monitor up for future trips. We recently used it for a long weekend at my family’s ranch and it was awesome. I love that it’s simple to setup, affordable and the picture is really clear. Plus, the range is nice and so is the battery life! It’s under $60 for one camera option. It’s the perfect travel monitor, and honestly a great monitor I would feel comfortable using daily.
- Baby Buddy Secure-A-Toy straps // These are so simple, but truly so useful. I use them everywhere, on her jumper table, the highchair, the carseat and stroller. They’ve kept us from losing so many toys and just keeping things attached and at arms reach for O. Buy them in every color!
- Frida Baby Snot Sucker // We recently experienced our first full blown cold (this mom was not the most chill…), so I texted a friend who is a nurse practiconer and she said to be sure to use this gadget (or the regular ole’ bulb sucker) to keep Olivia’s nose clear from ear infections. Olivia hates it, but it really does work. Such an odd invention, but glad to have it. I registered for it in this Frida Baby Sick Day Prep Kit. The Accu-dose pacifier that comes in it has also been a life saver as O has gotten older!
Are there any baby essentials for an 8 month old that you think I’m missing? Something your baby loved that we need to try? Let me know below in the comments!