They say that the days feel long but the years feel short in motherhood… well, I now know what this feels like. Pregnancy was fast, but these first four months with our sweet Olivia are going by even faster!
As a first time mom, I did tons of research and asked all my mom-friends about the baby products we needed to register for and would actually use. Let’s just say, it’s clear to me now that this is totally dependent from baby to baby. I wanted to compile a list of the baby products we love at 4 months, and hope it can serve as a resource for you or someone you know who is expecting!
I’m also thinking about putting together a list of items we registered for that we have NOT used or didn’t find useful… would this be helpful to you?
Olivia has generally been a really good & easy baby, we are so fortunate! There have definitely been products that she didn’t love initially, but has since grown to love them. And I’ll admit, that I’ve tried out my fair share of swaddles, pacifiers and bottles! But I’ve also heard that this is totally par for the course.
Baby Products We Love at 4 Months
- Doona Infant Car Seat & Stroller // I wasn’t sure about the hype on this stroller, but we added it to our registry anyways and decided if we didn’t use it, we could exchange it for something else. Well let’s just say I totally understand why this stroller is a cult-favorite. It’s just SO easy! Pop it up and pop it down… don’t have the base? No problem! It’s really a revolutionary stroller and one of our favorite baby gear items. I will say, I personally wouldn’t use it as your primary stroller, especially for walks, as it doesn’t handle as well over bumpy terrain, etc. It’s also a bit heavier than either of us expected. But we will be bringing this on all of our trips moving forward. It’s exciting to know that we won’t need to lug along a stroller AND a carseat + base because the Doona is all that in one. I’m thinking about purchasing this compatible storage bag to use with the Doona for an upcoming trip.
- Nuna Pipa Lite RX Carseat & base // The main car seat we use, the base is installed in my car, and I absolutely love it. I chose it because it’s the lightest car seat on the market – it’s super easy for me to pick up with one hand and carry items in my other hand, too. We love this car seat and Olivia does too! She’s sat in it without issue since the day we brought her home from the hospital.
- UppaBaby Vista V2 stroller & bassinet // There was no question I was going to go with the Nuna car seat, but after testing out the Nuna strollers, I decided I liked the Uppababy features and accessories better. Fortunately I’m not the only one with those feelings because Uppababy makes Numa compatible adapters for their strollers so the Nuna car seat can be used with the Uppababy stroller. Brilliant! We affectionately refer to our Vista Stroller as the Rolls Royce. It pushes so nicely, smoothly and truly has all the bells and whistles. We did not initially get the bassinet to go with it, but later purchased it after Olivia arrived for naps and walks. We still use the bassinet when we travel within the state. It’s perfect for overnights away from home. Back to the stroller, I love how spacious the lower basket is, and now that we’re using the rumble seat, it’s great to see how versatile the stroller is for so many life stages.
- Snoo Bassinet // I won’t lie… I was extremely skeptical of this bassinet. There is no way we could’ve afforded on of these bassinets on our own, but we were lucky to have friends whose daughter had just transitioned out of the Snoo and they offered to let us try it our for Olivia. Let’s just saw I’ve drank the Snoo kool-aid and will never not have one of these for my baby. It’s truly a life-changing baby item and one of the top items we’ve had the opportunity to use for Olivia. Between the built-in noise machine and the ability to soothe with different rocking levels, all from the touch of my phone, this bassinet is ultra-luxurious. I realize that not everyone can afford this, and fortunately there are other bassinets available now with a rocking option, but the Snoo has seriously been so helpful and Olivia loves it. We never had an issue with her not wanting to sleep in it overnight and she will even go down in it semi-awake and fall asleep on her own. It’s truly been such a blessing to have this bassinet, and I certainly realize how luxurious this baby item is and how fortunate we are to have been able to use it!
- DockATot Deluxe+ // Another item I was so skeptical about – is it really worth the hype?! I had one on my registry but didn’t receive, so decided to wait and see after Olivia arrived. We quickly realized those initial newborn days that she needed a safe little spot to nap in next to us on the couch or other spots in our home. We actually still use the DockATot for some supervised naps, and I’ll be sad when Olivia grows out of it! She loves to be held, and definitely likes the snuggled feeling it provides.
- Baby Bjorn Bouncer Bliss // Olivia loves this bouncer seat! We use it multiple times a day. I ended up adding on the googly eyes toy bar and it’s been such a hit! The zero-gravity really is cool because as she grows, her weight helps it bounce. I thought this was a gimmicky item, but there’s a reason Baby Bjorn is such a trusted brand. One of our top baby gear products and will use for future kiddos as well!
- Munchkin Brica 360 degrees car mirror // Rick and I each have one of these in our car and it’s been an absolute lifesaver when driving around with Olivia. Honestly, I’ll probably bring it on future trips with us, because it’s that helpful. A must-add to your registry list and something we’ll use until we turn her carseat around down the road!
- 4moms swing // I bought this swing from a friend second-hand, because I just wasn’t totally sure if Olivia was going to like it. Totally a sophisticated swing that has a variety of settings and speeds, it took a little for Olivia to enjoy it, but now she’ll sit in it for a good 20-30 minutes while I get a few things done in the kitchen or answer some emails. She seems to like it at the higher speed, and loves the soft, colorful toys that are attached to the top on the mobile. This swing has been a great addition to our “stations” throughout the day, however I’m not sure I’d purchase it new and at full-price. However, I see a variety of them listed often on FB Marketplace and advise snagging one there!
- Baby Bjorn mini // This was another post-partum purchase. Our first month together was rough in that Olivia only wanted to be held for naps, especially in the afternoon and evening. I couldn’t do anything and felt pretty frustrated. We received an amazing ErgoBaby carrier off our registry, which I researched like crazy, but it wasn’t until Olivoa arrived that we realized she was way too small as a newborn for that carrier. So back to the drawing board for something I could actually use in the newborn stage, and the Baby Bjorn had rave reviews and was priced right. I love that I can actually put it on myself, and honestly one-handed while holding the baby. She’s taken a handful of naps in it and it’s the perfect carrier for that newborn to 6-months stage. I’m not sure how supportive it is compared to the other carrier we have, so I’ll probably start using that one as she get a bit heavier.
- Fisher Price Infant to Toddler Rocker // A budget-friendly chair sling that we keep setup next to our kitchen table. Another “station” we put Olivia in, especially when we’re eating. She actually loves this chair and seems so comfortable in it! We started using it as early as 2-weeks, and pretty much use it daily. It has some cute little toys attached to the top bar, but I also attached one of these black & white rattle toys to the top and she’s obsessed.
- Ubbi Diaper Pail // Let’s just say we’ve accidentally left the hatch for this diaper pail open for a few hours and it definitely made us realize this diaper pail REALLY works! It comes in a handful of colors, but I personally love the white so it just blends into the space. Rick changes out the bags with ease and it holds quite a few diapers! I keep one of these odor absorbing gel packs at the bottom and it works great.
- Dr. Talbots Diaper Cream brush // One of those baby gadgets I didn’t think we needed, but boy was I wrong! I love using this diaper cream brush to quickly and easily apply diaper cream. No mess on my fingers and easy to wipe clean. A must gift for any expecting mama.
- Wipe Warmer // Olivia initially hated diaper changes, but my sister-in-law overnighted this wipes warmer from Amazon and it’s been an absolute game-changer. Olivia really doesn’t mind having her diapers changed at all, thanks to the warm wipes. Just make sure you have an outlet nearby to plug it in.
- Keekaroo Peanut Changing Pad // While it’s not the prettiest, this changing pad is a must. I love that it can just be wiped down, and no need to deal with fabric changing pad covers. We’ve had our fair share of pee accidents after taking off the diaper, and I don’t fret at all with this changing pad. Initially Olivia didn’t like it because it does stay cooler on the surface, so we used these disposable pads to lay on top for the first two months.
- Millie Moon Diapers & Wipes // We’ve tried out a handful of different diaper brands, and I really like the Millie Moon brand best. They really lock it all in, and we’ve yet to have any poo escape with this brand. I like the Pampers and Costco brands as well, but the Millie Moon diapers definitely come out on top.
bath time & health
- Angelcare Baby Bath Support // Let’s just all agree that giving a baby a bath is one of the most terrifying things ever! I finally feel comfortable giving Olivia baths, and she’s already 4-months old! The Angelcare bath support for bath time has been awesome and Olivia truly loves her baths. We were initially using it in our kitchen sink, but transitioned over to our guest bathroom tub. We’d have a great bath time, but then the minute I’d pull her out to wrap her up in the towel, the screaming began. I’ve since started steaming the bathroom before bringing Olivia in for her bath. Then once bath time is over, I change and put on the pajamas in the bathroom. No more crying!
- Frida Baby Control the Flow bath rinser // I’m sure any bath rinser cup would do, but this one by Frida Baby is high up on my list. It’s lightweight and has two different flow options, which I appreciate during bath time. The dual shower – rainshower for newborns and pour-over for toddlers – is extremely helpful.
- Haaka Baby electric Nail Trimmer // This will sounds like a rookie statement, but I had NO idea baby’s nails grow so quickly. And it was downright scary trying to clip Olivia’s nails those first few days, so I quickly ordered this nail grinder to get the job done.
- Mommy’s Bliss Gripe Water // If you know you know. Just buy it, keep it everywhere and gift it to any new mama. We swore by this and still do!
- Fisher Price Deluxe Kick & Play Piano Gym // We received this toy off our registry and I recently set it up. It’s been an absolute hit with Olivia. The music is cheery and not too annoying, and there’s a lot for baby girl to look at and catch her interest. Right now she lays on her back and can look at the toys, grab them and kick the piano keys. And when she gets older she can sit up and play on it. An affordable toy for 4 months and up!
- EVERLOVE black & white baby mobile // Purchased this mobile on a whim about 3-week after I had Olivia. Let me just say this has been one of the TOP FIVE BEST purchases I’ve made for baby girl. She is obsessed with this mobile and will lay in her crib forever staring up at it. Plus, the music is so cheery and good! We love singing along to it and it really is a wonderful addition to Olivia’s nursery. It’s become my go-to gift for expecting moms!
- Plush black & white rattle toys // Received these black & white rattle toys off my registry, and they’ve also been a hit with Olivia. I love that I can clip them on to a variety of things like her carseat or stroller. She loves the high-contrast colors and loves the rattle. They’re soft and cute + affordable! I pretty much keep one in every bag for her because she loves them that much.
clothes & accessories
- Love to Dream Swaddle UP // (0-3 months use) // We loved this swaddle and honestly I was super bummed when she grew out it! Olivia definitely loves any opportunity to sleep with her arms up and by her face. This swaddle was life-changing for us the first 0-3 months, so much so that we now own three and I will definitely use them again.
- Happiest Baby Sleeppea swaddle // The same swaddle used in the SNOO, however this one doesn’t have the wings to clip it in. Olivia loves this swaddle and sleeps so peacefully in it. And we affectionately refer to it as the straight jacket. But let me just say this and the aforementioned swaddles are the only ones that our little escape artist could wear. She literally got her arms out of every swaddle no matter how tight they were! I’m going to be really bummed when she grows out of this swaddle! No rolling yet, but I’m sure it’s on the horizon.
- Honorable mention… the Ollie Swaddle // I bought these second-hand from a friend and I really loved them, but every time I used them with Olivia I would open them up after a nap and she would be burning up to the touch. Perhaps they would’ve been better for us if she hadn’t been born in the middle of summer. I know people rave about these swaddles and they definitely were extremely secure and kept her little arms in place.
- Grosgrain hair bows 20-pack // Literally no other bows I owned would ever stay on Olivia’s head for longer than 5 minutes. These bows are the best! Truly, just buy them. They stay on, they don’t leave marks and the bows are pretty and substantial, plus come in a variety of colors.
- Owlet Cam Smart HD Monitor // I struggled with all the available monitor options including wifi or not. However, I absolutely love the Owlet Cam. The brand gifted me this monitor and it’s been life-changing for us. Olivia started napping in her crib for daytime and evening naps, and the Owlet cam is perfect for keeping an eye on her from my iPhone or tablet (we have it connected to a Samsung tablet). The picture is super clear and the sound is great. I especially love that it tells you the temperature of the room + the humidity level. I have the cam attached to this affordable clip mount I bought off Amazon. For me, the wifi capability of this monitor is extremely beneficial because I can check on Olivia when I’m out and about and she’s home with Rick or our nanny from time-to-time.
- V-Tech Audio baby monitors // You and I survived when our parents only have audio baby monitors, ha! I snagged these to have on hand if Olivia took a nap in the Snoo or when we spend the weekend away from home. These are super basic monitors, but they work great and pick up the sound clearly. I’m sure these will get used a bunch as Olivia gets older. Reviews mentioned they didn’t hold their charge very long, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised!