As the weather warms up and our time spent outside rises, it’s only fitting to start incorporating dinner ideas that include using the grill!
I love seafood, and we live in a great place to get some pretty fresh Gulf Coast finds. However, I don’t enjoy the smell it leaves when cooking it in my kitchen. That’s why I opt for grilling our seafood outdoors. To be honest, I kind of forgot about this grilled shrimp and queso fresco recipe, but it’s one of my favorite dinners to whip up on those warm spring and summer evenings.
In Houston I can usually get my hands on really fresh seafood. Most grocery stores offer fresh seafood, locally I like to get our shrimp at Central Market where they’ll skewer the shrimp for me. It never hurts to ask! I tend to stick to a general rule of three to four shrimp per skewer. Again, this is all loosely based on how hungry you are or how many you’re cooking for!
One of our most used wedding gifts, three years later are our grill and these grill-prep trays. Of course a simple sheet pan will suffice, but Rick and I both love how one is meant for the raw meat and seafood, while the other is for the cooked items. I like to use the red tray for marinading. Lay each shrimp skewers flat and begin squeezing fresh lime juice across the tops of the shrimp; the more the better! Garnish with Fajita rub. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Then turn the skewers over to the other side and repeat. I place the tray in fridge so the shrimp can marinade for 15-30 minutes.
What I love about this dinner idea is you can make it ahead of time and forget about it until dinner. Sometimes I marinade my shrimp mid-afternoon and leave them in the fridge for a few hours. It’s one of those dishes that can be prepped ahead of time, which I appreciate.
We love this easy dinner idea in the Haines house! If you’re into more of a kick, you could add some cilantro atop of the shrimp or in the rice for a kick. Regardless, these grilled shrimp with queso fresco crumbles will definitely be a crowd pleaser!
Read on for the easy grilled shrimp with queso fresco recipe! It’s an easy one to make, too. Pair with this tasty skinny margarita and you’ve got a delicious meal, cheers!
Grilled Shrimp with Queso Fresco
- 8-10 Fresh shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 3 Limes
- 1 package Fish & Shrimp Fajita rub
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees
- Rinse shrimp skewers with water and lay flat on tray or baking sheet
- Squeeze juice of fresh limes on both sides of shrimp
- Sprinkle EVOO over shrimp
- Garnish with fajita marinade and sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste
- Place tray/pan in fridge for 15-30 minutes
- Spray grill with non-stick cooking spray
- Place each shrimp skewer on grill and cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until pink
- Once one side is cooked, flip over to opposite side
- Plate shrimp with a side of black beans and Basmati rice
- Top with queso fresco crumbles and a squeeze of fresh lime