Years ago, my grandmother taught me how to make a fresh apple pie. She even taught me how to make homemade crust. So for me, fresh apple pie has become synonymous with holiday cheer and celebration.
However, the one things that’s always been a struggle for me, is making the homemade pie crust. It either rolls out too thin and cracks or isn’t flaky enough once baked.
So to keep things simple when I’m baking for the holidays, I purchased Pillsbury Rolled Pie Crust at Sam’s Club. Using the store-bought crust makes my pie baking easier, and I can put my efforts into making the fresh apple filling for my simple holiday fresh apple pie. Plus, it rolls out easily and is so flaky and delicious once baked!
Can you sense a common theme here? I strive to eliminate stress in a variety of ways during the holidays. Along with simplifying my pie baking, another way I eliminate stress is by purchasing in bulk (this pack includes 6 crusts!) Sam’s Club makes it straightforward to have all my holiday baking necessities on hand, either by purchasing in-store or via a grocery delivery app order.
Between cooking and baking during the holidays, I usually go through quite a bit of the pantry staples, so I like to buy in bulk. Being able to purchase Pillsbury Rolled Pie Crust in larger boxed quantities from Sam’s Club is perfect for my cooking needs throughout the season and beyond.
By eliminating the need to create a homemade pie crust, I can focus my time and efforts on the delicious apple pie filling! For my simple holiday fresh apple pie, I like to use Granny Smith apples. The filling is simple, but takes time to peel, core and slice each apple. There’s no need to simmer the apples or cook up a sugar and spice syrup. Simply toss the sliced apples in sugar, flour and spices, fill the pie dish and bake.
Of course, there are a few additional steps included, but you can catch those in the full recipe below!
Simple Holiday Fresh Apple Pie
- 6-8 Tart Apples pared, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Box Pillsbury Rolled Pie Crust 2 rolled crusts per box
- Dash Salt
- Place pared, cored and thinly sliced apples in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine dry ingredients until mixed, then mix with apples.
- Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry dough.
- Fill pie crust with apple mixture and dot with slices of butter.
- Place top crust layer and pinch ends to pie dish to seal.
- Cut ½ to 1 inch slits in middle of pie crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes, or until golden brown.
And if you need more holiday inspiration, you can see a few Adored by Alex holiday posts, here.